Looking for reasons why you should choose shower wall panels instead of tiles?
Today, we’re going to reveal seven main reasons why you should switch to uPVC wall panels and why more and more people every year are doing just that.
A shower is one area where you don’t want to compromise. Wall tiles are the most common answer when it comes to making a statement shower. However, tiles often create excessive damp and don’t provide any ventilation which in turn causes a build-up of mould, mildew and discolouration.
This is where Shower Wall Panels come in; uPVC wall panels are a relatively new means of cladding any wall. Using shower panels, instead of tiles, has big advantages. So, we’ve produced this visual guide to the 7 main advantages of using plastic shower panels instead of tiles.
Advantages of Using Shower Wall Panels:
1.) Generally Cost-effective – A budget-friendly cladding
Let’s face it, home renovations always come at a cost.
A set budget often overshadows our idea of the perfect bathroom makeover.
Tiles can be glamorous and are good materials for a household, but they are always costly. The best tiles in a High Street showroom can be brilliant, but if you’re looking to renovate your bathroom on a budget you’re likely to end up buying what your budget allows from a bargain wholesaler.
This is one of the advantages wall panels have over tiles.
At EasyPanels, a shower panel with a dimension of 1,000 mm (1 meter) by 2,400 mm (2.4 meters) has a price range of £47.80- £59.90. So in a shower cubicle with a dimension of 1m by 2.4 m, two shower panels two shower panels are enough to cover your walls, and you’d spend at most £119.8. Plus you can do the installation on your own! Saving you up hundreds of pounds.
But when it comes to tiles covering the same area, you can expect to roughly pay between £97.20 to £165 (costs vary wildly). Once you add up all the costs: purchasing tiles, adhesive, grouting and the skilled labour that you will need to get the job done correctly, you’re looking at a relatively large sum.
Compare this to the cost of shower panels, and you’ll find the shower wall panel to be a much more affordable option. That’s a one-point advantage for shower wall panels.
2.) Easy to install – Quick and Easy to Fix
Let’s compare the fitting process of shower panels versus tiles, this is another major factor worth considering.
uPVC shower panels don’t require much skill or experience to install. A general DIYer or anyone that can measure accurately and cut straight will find them easy to install.
Three features that make installation quick and easy:
a. The tongue and groove system
Tongue and groove wall panels are large sheets that slot together to form a perfect finish and give you a quick and easy installation process.
There are also plenty of DIY shower panel installation guides available that are quick and easy to follow. Shower panels offer a simplified approach to upscaling your bathroom. They’re ideal because you don’t need any specialised tools or training to achieve a professional look.
b. Wide Coverage
Another notable benefit of choosing shower panels instead of tiles is the reduced installation time.
Standard shower panels measure 1000mm x 2400mm. Since each shower panel covers a large area, you’ll get the job done in a fraction of the time it would take to lay tiles one by one. The material is easy to cut, and there is minimal dust and mess to contend with.
c. You can install it over tiles
Here’s another reason why you should try shower panels as an alternative to tiles.
No need to worry about removing the existing tiles in your shower room – you can put your wall panels directly on top of the tiles. In fact, you can fix them onto almost any type of surface.
However, many fitters prefer to put some cladding strips or concreate nails on the tile or surfaces first. This helps to achieve a more uniformed and sturdy structure before placing your panels on top. This is just another added benefit of installing wall panels over tiles.
3.) No more grout or cement needed – The silicone sealant is on duty
Unlike the traditional option of tiles, you won’t have to wait for any adhesive to dry before grouting. Just put the panel up, seal the edges with a silicone sealant and your shower is ready for use.
With minimal skill and effort, you can renovate your shower in just a few hours. We’d also recommend using trim edges and joins to save on sealant and get an even better-looking finish.
Once you’re done, there’s hardly any cleaning required.
4.) Waterproof and durable – Withstands the test of time
Quick and easy installation, along with lower installation costs, are all compelling reasons to consider shower panels instead of tiles. But you’re going to be living with this for years to come so it’s only natural that you want a product that’s low maintenance and durable.
Shower Panels are more than a waterproof surface for your bathroom:
In a flammability test conducted by Cone Calorimetry, they learnt that uPVC wall panel material is a low fire risk under 20 kW/m2, and the panel is safe in small accidental fires. Furthermore, the fire behaviour of this type of uPVC board was classified as intermediate risk.
5.) Easy-to-clean and hygienic – Say goodbye to mould, dirt, and bacteria
In this regard, shower panels are also an advantageous bathroom sheeting instead of tiles.
The uPVC material is water-resistant and is perfect for showers. It’s effortless to clean, one flat surface with a glossy finish doesn’t take much effort to wipe down to a perfect shine.
There are no grooves for mould, dirt, and bacteria to collect and the ridged, durable nature of this material means that it remains to look shiny and new for many years.
6.Multifunctional and Versatile – Freedom to explore
You can use this type of cladding in any part of your home that you see fit. So, you can explore its functions by adding a touch of class to different parts of your home, such as:
- Shower – This wall panel is specially designed to waterproof and add a touch of class to your shower walls. So you can achieve your dream shower look without a fuss!
- Bathroom – You can also use these boards on your bathroom walls, or anywhere you see fit, and you won’t have to deal with mould or grout anymore. That’d be a great relief!
- Kitchen – Wall panels are hygienic and practical. Choose from a range of designs and patterns to give your kitchen a brand new splashback feature. It’s easy to do, and you can even fix it on top of the existing tiles to help you cover the moulds and mildews.
- Laundry room – A laundry room doesn’t have to be a lifeless and dull area of your home. You can add colour to it by installing shower wall panels. Their easy and cheap to install and are the perfect material for a laundry room transformation if you’re in a budget.
- Wet Rooms – If you’re looking to create a wet room feature panels are the perfect way to dress up an open plan bathroom. Their floor-to-ceiling fit means they are easy and efficient to install with minimum upkeep, perfect for large showers and bathrooms.
- Limitless Design Options — Various design choices will enable you to explore and find the perfect board for your space.
It has fewer joints too and thicker panels so it’ll make your job easier if you’ll DIY it.
7. Wide Range of Design Options – Perfect for any kind of style
There’s a great variety of design options to choose from, each one with a unique style. Whether you want a classic shower look, retro or sparkled shower style, you can make it happen! Your imagination is your limit! You can set the right mood and tone for your shower walls from these design choices:
- Tile Effect – Whether you’re looking for traditional mosaics or classic stone tiles, you can make it possible with tile-effect uPVC panels.
- Sparkle Effect – This is a collection of shower panels with a diamond effect finish that can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your shower walls.
- Marble Effect – The marble effect wall panels emanate a timeless classic that will never go out of style. It’s an excellent addition to your shower walls to add a hint of luxury.
- Brick Effect – This set of shower panels will turn your shower walls into a rustic and urban-chic Manhattan style wet room.
- Wood Effect – This collection of shower panel exhibits a natural wood finish that will give your walls a unique and rich wooden finish.
So, what’s the verdict?
From a practical and financial standpoint, the argument for choosing shower panels instead of tiles speaks for itself.
Looking ahead, it also has its advantages. Home renovations are costly, time-consuming and disruptive, so we often put up with our outdated interiors. What looked exciting and new 10-years ago is now often tiresome and dull.
Since shower wall panels are so cheap, compared to tiles, deciding to change the look of your bathroom doesn’t require you to dig too deep into your savings. Your installation time is cut in half and the inconvenience of having a bathroom that’s unusable for days is gone!
Without spending much, or disrupting your daily life to any great extent, you can change the look and feel of any room. There are so many options available, from classic, timeless designs to modern, trendy and vibrant wall panels. You can also use our helpful blogs to examine how much you can be expected to spend on a brand new bathroom.
So, which feature do you like the most about Shower Wall Panels?
Let us know in the comment section below.