OLD Bathroom or kitchen tiles
Are your bathroom or kitchen tiles an eyesore or just looking dated? Do you consider hiding them? Or if they’re 1970’s sunburnt orange do you consider taking a sledgehammer to them? ….Just me?Well, covering it up is an ideal solution to keep them out of sight. So today, we’re giving you tips and ideas on how to cover tiles cheaply. These solutions are also less costly and a lot less like hard work than replacing them with new ones, though it might feel like your sweeping them under the rug….and then nailing the rug to the floor. ….Just me again?
Our London Tile Effect – Take A Peek
7 clever ideas to cover tiles
There are seven ways to cover tiles inexpensively, and we’re going to reveal them one-by-one. From paint to shower panels
. So let’s get started with one of the popular tile covering.
1. Painting – Add a Burst of Colour with Tile Paint
Got a bathroom or kitchen with an outdated colour palette?
Tiling around kitchen backsplash, floor tiles, fireplace tiles and wall tiles all can be repainted even if they have a shiny finish. Here’s how to do it yourself.
Advantages of Painting Tilessions
- You can completely customise your bathroom
- You can upgrade your tiles to make it look like new
- Painted tiles are robust and durable and endure regular wear and tear
- You can save time and money than retiling your bathroom
Disadvantages of Using Paint to Cover Tiles
- If you want it to be your DIY project, you need to do all the prep work, design and the actual painting.
- Painting tiles with multiple coats can take a week to complete
- Painted tiles may chip or peel if the painting is done the wrong way
How to Paint Bathroom Tiles
Follow these instructions for the best results:1.) Remove the grout thoroughly using brush, mop, tile cleaner and scrub. You can also sand the tiles to roughen up the surface and prepare it before painting.2.) You may open your window and doors and set up fans for better ventilation3.) Prepare your tile painting materials:
- Paint’s tape to cover the edges
- Tile paint primer
- Tile paint colours of your choice
- Paint rollers and brushes
- Sealant or polyurethane
- Stencils, if necessary for your design
4.) Apply the paint primer to the tiles and the grout. Leave it and let it dry before proceeding to the next step.5.) Apply the initial coat of tile paint in a smooth stroke. If you want to use a stencil, we recommend using a spray gun to achieve a clean finish.6.) Wait for the first coat dry for a few days, then reapply the second coat and let it dry again.7.) Apply sealant/polyurethane over the painted tiles. If you want great and seamless results, you’ll need around 2-3 coats, and you have to let it dry in between.8.) Reapply the grout and enjoy your new painted tiles!
2. Tile-effect Wall Panels – The Cost-effective Solution
wall panels are made from PVC materials that is why it is 100% waterproof, and you can use it in multiple areas such as shower enclosure, bathroom, kitchen and even in your laundry area. It comes in various dimension, style and design. Skilled joiners and carpenters can get the installation done in just a fraction of time, and you can make it your DIY project too. It is a cheaper alternative than replacing your tiles
Advantages of Using Wall Panels:
1. Durable Quality
Wall Panels are waterproof due to its construction. Thus, moist and water could not penetrate this type of cladding. You’ll never have to worry about the build-up of moulds and mildews that appears in grout since it is grout-free and moisture-resistant.2. Cheaper than Tiles
Wall panels are so much affordable than tiles since a 5 mm wallboard only costs £5.50 to £10 while those having a dimension of 8 mm ranges from £8.50 to £15.3. Professional Finish
PVC panels produce an elegant, glossy finish and you can also improve its seal by fitting a wall panel trim on the edges to achieve a complete, professional bathroom look.4. Easy Installation
With the tongue-and-groove system, you can easily slot the panels together, making the installation a lot easier and faster. You don’t also need cement or grout. All you have to do is some sort of measuring, cutting, and sealant application.5. Various Design Choices
Whether you’re fancy of sparkling wallboard with a diamond finish or you’re into modern and minimalistic design, setting the right tone for your bathroom is always possible. You won’t run out of bathroom idea.
PROS of Tile-effect Wall Panels: Tilessions
PVC Wall panels offer the following benefits.
- Cheaper than tiles
- 100% waterproof
- Durable quality
- Quick and easy installation
- No grout or cement needed
CONS Wall Panels:
These are the disadvantages of using wall panels that you should be aware of before making up your mind:
- Artificial nature of the product
- Softer Material than others
Cost of Wall Panels
Wall tiles are usually a little cheaper than floor tiles, but there is a much less expensive option which is the Vinyl flooring. PVC wall panels are rapidly becoming the wall cladding of choice for bathroom renovations in the UK. It reduces your building cost and saves a lot of time. It’s the most cost-effective solution and is very elegant. These waterproof wall panels are available at Easy panels for as low as £9.50 (250mm x 2600mm). So, it’s an excellent cladding solution if you’re working on a budget and the installation can be done within 1 to 3 days.However, if you’re specifically renovating a shower area our shower panels potentially offer a more straightforward solution and wouldn’t look out of place if you just wanted them in the corner of your bathroom.
How to Install Wall Panels
- Step 1: Measure and cut your panels accurately using a hacksaw or a Stanley knife. To seal the ceiling profiles that meet at the corners, insert the corner trims and fix it into the wall using silicone glue. You can also reinforce it with some staples, nails or screws.
- Step 2: Measure and cut the panels by following the same procedure as defined in step 1. Then cut the edge of the tongue using a craft knife to make it slot into the profile.
- Step 3: Generously apply the silicone glue to the back of the panel and slot it into the internal corner and ceiling profile. Repeat this process can nail the edge of the tongue to the wall for extra reinforcing.
3. Quick-setting Cement – Resurface countertops or an updated look
Quick-setting cement, also known as fast setting cement, is specially formulated to set in approximately 10–15 minutes. It sets quickly so the cement paste can take the required shape rapidly. You can also use it in covering existing tiles in your home. It is a more labour-intensive option, but it can be very inexpensive, depending on the type of concrete you choose.However, concrete will likely crack slightly during the curing process, but you can fill in the cracks using a sealant.
Benefits of Using Quick-setting Cement
- Due to its lesser value of setting time as compared to OPC, it is usable in under-water concreting, cold weather concreting You can use it in concrete repair works without disrupting the structure. It sets faster than OPC, but it attains the same robust quality as the OPC Quick setting cement has high resistance towards the water. It requires less amount of water during hydration.
- You can use it in concrete repair works without disrupting the structure.
- It sets faster than OPC, but it attains the same robust quality as the OPC
- Quick setting cement has high resistance towards the water.
- It requires less amount of water during hydration.
4. Beadboard – For a Fresh Clean Look
is widely used in both home and commercial spaces as it is an excellent addition for a stylish and fresh look. It’s particularly suited for wainscoting in a variety of environments. You can purchase large sheets of beadboard and paint it with your desired colour. To install, just measure and cut the boards to fit it into the area of tiles that you’re covering. Then, apply an adequate layer of liquid nails adhesive to the existing tiles and slowly press the beadboard. To keep the edges in place, use the traditional nails as support. And there you have it! You can cover tiles while updating its look.
Benefits of Covering Tiles With Beadboard
Keep in mind these the pros and cons before buying.
- Beadboard draws the eye and creates visual texture.
- It is relatively affordable, compared to other professionally installed tile coverings which cost over $10,000.
- You can install DIY beadboard kits with basic carpentry knowledge.
- You can paint standard wood beadboard to match it with the trims in the room.
The disadvantage of Covering Tiles With Beadboard
- Traditional wood beadboards are hard to install, but you can save money if you’re going to hire a contractor to fix it and paint it yourself afterwards.
- A leaking roof or faulty overhead plumbing can damage the beadboard.
5. Wood and Liquid Nails – For a Rustic Effect
Cut the wood and fit it into the tiled area. Apply an adequate amount of adhesive and fix the board to the tiles according to your desired pattern. Let the area dry then apply a sealant.
Advantages of Wooden Cladding:
- Shelving, mirrors, and interior doors are easy to attach in woods
- Resists and covers mould and mildew that often occurs on tile grout
- Freedom to paint it with the colour of your choice
- Insulates bathroom as wood absorbs and retains heat better than tiles
Disadvantages of Wooden Cladding for the Bathroom
- It tends to expand as it absorbs moisture and shrink as it dries
- Not watertight like other wall covering, therefore, it does not suit wet areas
- Requires timber batting on top of tiles
6. Carpet Tiles – The Tile Concealer
A carpet tile is also known as modular or square carpet rolls which can be fitted together to form up a whole carpet. It is also available in other shapes like hexagon and triangles, but complex shapes come at a cost. Carpet tiles are commonly used as a flooring option for commercial environments. It helps to conceal large areas of your tile flooring it is easy to install and remove.Here are some of the advantage and limitation of carpet tiles.
Benefits of Using Carpet Tiles
- Simple and fast installation
- Durable product
- Basic maintenance
- Variety of Look
The disadvantage of Using Carpet Tiles
- Edge fray
- Risk of disfigurement
- A more broken up look
7. Wall Papers and Transfers – Fakes that look great
If you want an easy and effortless way to have a bathroom makeover, wallpapers, stickers and transfer is an ideal solution. However, bear in mind that some vinyl decals are not suitable for bathroom use so look for those which are marked as ideal for rooms with high humidity. Covering tiles with heavily patterned or brightly coloured wallpapers is quite tricky, but those with dark colours and modern patterns can get the job done while adding a bit of character into a bland tile.
Benefits of Using Wall Papers
- It is a cost-effective option in the long run since it can last up to 15 years.
- It instantly hides any surface imperfection, and it adheres quickly.
- It can add warmth, depth, and style to a room that monotone paint simply cannot achieve.
- It comes in a wide range of beautiful designs, intriguing textures, and beautiful prints which creates a stunning effect on your room and feature walls.
- Applying wallpaper to walls is takes more time than painting.
- You can directly place the wallpapers because you have to do some prep work first.
- Some of the old wallpapers are tedious to remove.
These tile covering options give you flexibility and freedom to explore different styles and even combine different materials to achieve a diverse look and highlight certain parts of your bathroom.Choosing the right materials to cover your tiles is a challenge but weighing the pros and cons of each option is helpful. After all, it all depends on your budget and what gives you more benefits.So, what tile covering are you going to try?Do you want to go with paint or you’d like to try wall panels? Or maybe you’ll choose the wallpapers?Let us know in the comment section below.Happy covering!